ⓘ Polly Hill Arboretum

                                     

ⓘ Polly Hill Arboretum

The Polly Hill Arboretum includes 8 ha under cultivation, with an additional 16 ha of native woodland, located on Marthas Vineyard at 809 State Road, West Tisbury, Massachusetts, United States. It has been developed since 1958 by the horticulturist Polly Hill, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.

In 1687, Henry Luce, one of the first English settlers on Marthas Vineyard purchased 400 acres 1.6 km2 of land in the centre of the island with the natives. In 1926, 16 ha 40 acres of this land, then a sheep farm, was purchased by seven hills. After her fathers death, hill decided to create an arboretum in 1958, growing trees from seed. Through the purchase of adjacent land, the property was increased to 24 hectares, 60 acres. In arboretums administrative offices are located in a building constructed in 1670-ies. Other historic buildings on the property include the far barn around 1750 is attached to the slaughterhouse, a cow, a barn of a private house and the adjacent "gym".

In the arboretum now contains North Tisbury azaleas, witch-hazel, winter hazel, camellias, magnolias, stuartias, coniferous, and deciduous and evergreen Hollies, and incorporates a dogwood Avenue and braid hornbeam arbor. Polly hill plant introductions, including varieties of dogwood Kousa, Ilex, Stewartia, and about forty rhododendrons.